Monday, August 6, 2007

What would Ayn Rand think of Hillary Clinton?




In The Voice of Reason, editor Leonard Peikoff compiles the essays of Ayn Rand (author of The Fountainhead) written from 1961 through 1981. They are in three sections: philosophy, culture, and politics.

Even though some of these articles are over forty years old, believe it or not, they still have relevance today. Although I don't believe with everything she writes, I do admire her guts to write it - and they do make me think about timely issues in a different way.

One of her essays is titled "About a Woman President," emphasizing that a woman should not be president. She states it's not the lack of intelligence or dedication that a woman cannot hold such an office. Read it for yourself to find out why. Again, I stress that these are not my views, but Rand's.

She also gives her views on socialized medical care (which has been a subject of debate with political candidates), "intellectual bankruptcy," and pubic television - just to name a few. As I mentioned, I may not agree with everything (in fact a lot of what she says), but she still gives me something to think about, just like a newspaper's opposing editorial. It's important, too, to remember the time social climate it was written in.

The Voice of Reason (call # 191 RAN) is located on the second floor.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: