Monday, August 27, 2007

Donny Osmond isn't a bad apple


It seems like I can't get away from him - I mean Donny Osmond. I grew up listening to Donny, since he's younger than I am. While visiting Cedar Rapids a few weeks ago, I came upon his old albums in "antique" stores. Then I saw in the paper recently that he's making another comeback; he's released a new album.

I had to call my friend Lisa with the news. She's had a crush on him ever since she heard "Puppy Love." She's married with two kids and, if I remember correctly, she still has some of his vinyl albums stored in the attic. (I forgot to ask her if that's right.)

If you're like Lisa, you'll enjoy his autobiography called Life is Just What You Make it: My Story So Far. Written with Patricia Romanowski, this breezy book is a lot of fun to read. It follows his career, beginning with "The Andy Williams Show" through the 1990s when The Osmonds are performing at Branson, Missouri. He has gone through some dry spells where he couldn't get a record contract and he was told by his accountant that he was close to bankruptcy. But, as a whole, he's been very lucky - making hit records, being a television star, and having an extremely long run in live theatre.

His book is filled with humor ("What was I thinking?") on some of his missteps. I really liked his stories about trying to make a comeback during the disco days, with all the wild clothes. I know what he means - I saw his album covers in Cedar Rapids.

Life is Just What You Make It: My Story So Far is in the Biography section on the second floor under the Dewey # 781.64 OSM.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: