Thursday, August 16, 2007

This book has pictures



I've traveled to a lot of places with my best friend, Tom. He's probably one of the few people who can put up with me, since I always want to spend all day at the art museums. Because of my art history background, I just go crazy. Tom is so patient. He'll just wait in the cafe and gift shop when he's done.

He's one of those guys who will politely walk with me for a while asking questions about this or that painting. But, after an hour or two, he's done.

I've only been to New York once and I still remember the day we went to the Guggenheim. We went as soon as it was open. I was pumped. Do you know what he did? He had the gall to say that he was hungry; he had to eat before walking through the exhibit. Because you always need to compromise when you travel, I very reluctantly agreed to sit in the cafe with him. Well, even eating just a light snack takes hours for him. I'm sure it was less, but it seemed that way. If you asked him what his favorite part of the day, he'd probably say it was the cafe and gift shop.

So, How to Read a Painting ( 753.09 HOW) is just right for people like Tom who want to know a little about the history of painting, but don't want a lecture - which I'm inclined to give. In addition to all the biggies like Michelangelo's "Sistine Chapel: The Last Judgement" and Leonardo's "Mona Lisa," author Patrick De Rynck talks about other works you may not know, but are still important works. Each work is succinctly discussed in just a few pages which are filled with color illustrations.

This book would be a great primer for understanding 12th through the 19th century art. Consider this book if you are planning on going to any major art museum in the near feature. And remember, if you're one of those people who zips in and out of art museums in just a few hours, don't bother asking me to go along.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey... I resemble those comments! Yes, it's Tom. I must confess that the art museums are just a way to support the gift shops and the coffee shops. I remember the Guggenheim. The coffee shop was fabulous. For $22.00 a head, we had fresh baked croissants, fresh fruit, the most amazing coffee in an eating establishment designed by Frank Lloyd Wright himself. All the fixtures and even the dishes were designed by the man.

I thought it was amazing, but old Tim wanted to see the *eww* artwork. I thought I would just have to humor the boy.

Actually, the artwork was forgettable, but the building was amazing. You elevate up and work your way down a spiral that is about 4 or 5 stories. There are no stairs, you simply wander down, down, down in a corkscrew pattern. The plentiful natural light bathes the artwork not in the harsh incandescent (sp?) or halogen, but in the warm wash that only the sun can give.

The space is airy and calming despite the noise and the dirt outside.


And yes, the gift shop was fab.