Wednesday, August 1, 2007

An ironclad book

I still remember that fateful day, early in the school year, when the history instructor told everyone in my class a term paper, complete with footnotes, was required.

This was my first major paper. What made it even worse was that this was before computers were common (a computer took up an entire room). Plus, the typewriter my parents had wasn't even electric. (I think I'm turning into my father who said he had to walk 2 miles in the cold snow to get to school.)

For the paper, I decided my topic should be the Monitor. The Monitor was a Union iron-clad ship that the Union built during the Civil War.

I was reminded of that when I saw this book, Ironclad: The Monitor and the Merrimack by Arthur Mokin. The Merrimack was a battleship built by the Confederates that was damaging Union ships. To counteract, the Union military built the Monitor.

For Civil War history buffs, or if you need a resource for your own paper, check out Ironclad, located on the second floor with the call number 973.757 MOK.

Oh, and by the way, I found my paper. The typing was rather bad, but still received a B- (pretty good for a kid who didn't know what he was doing).








c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: