Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I think we need the large print of "Dave Barry Turns 50"


One of my close relatives is turning 50 in a few weeks. Last week I visited with her husband who said that she does not want to be reminded about her age.

I know I have a cruel heart, but I can't help it. I thought of buying her Dave Barry Turns 50 ( 814.54 BAR). Heck, I'm older than she is - I turned 50 last year. And I was a good sport, enjoying all the insulting cards and black birthday cake. I loved it - especially the cake.

In case you don't know, Dave Barry was a humorous newspaper columnist for many years. You might have seen his articles in the Courier years ago. He's old now, so he retired from doing a weekly syndicated column.

In this book, he reminisces about the days gone by, which will have you rolling on the floor with laughter. That is if you can read the print. You see, we don't have this book in large print. However, you can check out a magnifying glass to help you read it. Just ask for it when you pick up this book.

I've just thought of the perfect birthday gift: I'll write up a free gift card to use at the library for her to pick up this book and one magnifying glass. I know, I know, I'm cheap as well as mean. But revenge is sweet: She's the one who got me the black birthday cake.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, they DO have magnifying glasses that you can check out!