Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The life of "Dick Tracy"



Birth date of Dick Tracy: 1931. That's the year that Chester Gould's classic cartoon first appeared in newspapers.

If I remember correctly back in the '70s, when I was a teen, "Dick Tracy" was in the Courier. At that time I wasn't interested in the strip.

It wasn't until I was older that I actually grew to appreciate the man with that distinctive profile.

Jay Maeder's Dick Tracy: the Official Biography (741.5 TRA) gives information on all the hardened and grotesque criminals Dick Tracy had to fight. Being a fan of superhero comics, I really admire Gould's ability to create such distinctive characters throughout the years.

Now Rich Fletcher and Max Allan Collins produce the comic since Gould's retirement in 1977.

Bit of "Dick Tracy" trivia: Max Allan Collins is the same writer of the extremely popular Road to Perdition - and he lives Iowa.

Check it out.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: