Friday, August 24, 2007

End verbal abuse

I wish I could claim credit for the witty caption, but I can't. It represents the humor that author Patricia T. O'Conner intersperses in her book about the written English language.

Since this is the beginning of a new school year, I thought Woe Is I (Dewey# 428.2 OCO) would be a good book to promote. After all, those who are back in school will be writing papers. This isn't one of those dry books with all the picky rules for footnotes and bibliographies. She offers advice on informal writing, something even I need help with every now and then. A little refresher course never hurts, especially when it's written with a sense of humor.

Remember how I've talked about my best friend, Tom -you know, the guy who loves to go to museums for the food? Well, he teaches English to foreign students at UNI. Know what's on his bookshelf? That's right - Woe Is I. I figure if it's good enough for him, I say it's good enough for you and me.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: