Thursday, April 12, 2007

Women artists have been underappreciated

If you asked people on the street to quickly list the women artists they know, you might not get too many. Georgia O'Keefe and Mary Cassatt might be mentioned because of all the calendars their artwork graces.

Even I really didn't know many until I worked as an intern at the Sioux City Art Center years ago. I was asked to put together a presentation on the history of women artists. I was very thankful that I had A History of Women Artists by Hugo Munsterberg to use. By the time I finished the project, I felt like I had completed another course in art history.

The book is a wonderful overview. However, there are some disadvantages. It was published in 1975, which means that several influencial current artists are not mentioned. Also, few reproductions are in color. But like I mentioned, it's still a good book that ranges from the Middle Ages to the mid 1970s. Prehistoric is also covered - but it would be difficult to identify any art piece being created by a woman.

A History of Women Artists can be found on the second floor under the call number 709.2 MUN.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: