Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Woman in the French Foreign Legion

Tomorrow to be Brave
by Susan Travers

Before I'd read this book, I had only a very vague notion of what the French Foreign Legion was. All I could have said is that they were supposed to be one of the very toughest units.

I guess, as a woman, I've never been drawn to military stories, because I didn't particularly relate to the protagonists, who were almost always men, and I didn't much feel like reading about nurses, who seemed to be the only women serving in war time who ever were written about.

So for years, I've simply stayed out of the entire genre. However, this past winter I was weeding our 900s section, and I found this book. I guess it was the subtitle that caught my eye "A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion."

This intrigued me, and I began to read the story of Susan Travers, who was not only a woman, but English to boot.

So how does an English woman end up in the French Foreign Legion, sleeping in a hole in the desert, dodging bombs and rifle fire, and driving through mine fields?

To find out, look for this title in the WPL Biography section, with the call number 940.54 TRA.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: