Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Does it feel like spring, time for baseball?


Well today, March 4, may not feel like spring since the website, Weather Underground, says it's only 20 degrees outsided, with a windchill of -1. Still we need to be optimistic about spring, because that means baseball is here. While looking through the sporting books, I came across a book that I think many of you might enjoy. It's "Anson to Zuber: Iowa Boys in the Major Leagues" by Jerry E. Clark.

Before opening up the book, I thought it would be arranged like most encyclopedias that talk about athletes alphabetically with all the stats listed. I was wrong. Each chapter is devoted to a different time period. It's written more like a magazine or newspaper article, with the athletes' names in bold print.
The index is divided into two parts: "Index of Baseball Personalities" and "Index of Iowa Cities and Towns". That's a feature I really liked. Since I've lived in the Waterloo area all of my life, I was curious about what was listed for northeast Iowa.

Oh, and don't overlook the introduction, either (something I do quite frequently, I hate to admit). There are about nine pages of overview of baseball's long history.

"Anson to Zuber: Iowa Boys in the Major Leagues" by Jerry E. Clark can be found on the second floor under the call number 796.357 CLE.


c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: