Monday, February 11, 2008

What a way to go!


When my friend Tom and I take road trips, we like to read humorous books to each other. Being Dead is No Excuse (393.09 MET) is a good book to remember for the next time we go some place. The subtitle explains the subject matter: "The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral."


Don't get me wrong. I am one of those people who gets really emotional at funerals, but I can't help but laugh at some of the things authors Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays write. I dare you to not at least crack a smile at this excerpt:

"For a really big funeral, dual membership - in St. James' and Alcoholics Anonymous - is the ticket. Episcopalians who have belonged to AA attract a standing-room-only crowd, without increasing the liquor bill for the reception. St. James' is so welcoming of mourners that, at a funeral, even if you accidentally sit in somebody else's pew, nobody really gets mad." (When I was growing up, all the church regulars had their particular spot, also.)

This book is not all fun, though. There are a lot of serious recipes in here so you can host the prefect funeral. Potato salad, a regular at some funerals I have been to, is one of them. The recipe sounds divine, or as Lori, a good friend of mine, would say, "It's to die for."

c Waterloo Public Library 2008

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funerals are an interesting thing to study. How long do you suppose it will be before someone writes a book about those roadside memorials?