Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The perfect book for those who are "always the bridesmaid, but never the bride"


Normally to promote a book, I'd scan the cover and put that on the blog, but I couldn't pass this up. "#34 Create gorgeous curtains" is just one of the entries in this slim, hilarious book titled 101 Uses for a Bridesmaid Dress (818.5402 WAL). Remember that old Carol Burnett "Gone with the Wind" spoof? I got a real kick out of author Cindy Walker and artist Donna Mehalko's twist on the dress/windowdressing concept.


I really can't say that I "read" this book. Saying I "looked" at it is more appropriate, since this review contains more words than the book. But I suppose if you consider the old phrase, "a picture is worth a thousand words," it's a tome - there are 53 charming, airy illustrations that do speak volumes.

Last night, after going to bed, I had visions of these old dresses in their new incarnation. There's idea #23 flashing through my head, now #43. Unlike counting sheep, this kept me awake. I began to dream that "O" or "Martha Stewart Living" should have a regular feature on recycling old bridesmaid dresses (or maybe prom dresses!). There are already enough suggestions in this book to last a few years. For Father's Day, what guy wouldn't love to have hand-made fly fishing waders, a sunshade cover for his golf cart, or (the old standard) a tie?

Forgive me for stopping this review...I need to get to Goodwill before they close in an hour. I have shopping to do. (I've never been asked to be a bridesmaid.)

If you see a bespectacled man selling fancy golf club covers made out of satin and ribbon during next summer's craft shows, stop by. It might be me. Maybe I can interest you in some merchandise that's just right for the man or woman in your life. But don't expect to see any window curtains. I'm saving those for my own redecorating!

c Waterloo Public Library 2008
Posted by Picasa

No comments: