Monday, February 11, 2008

This book is trash!


A few weeks ago, the reference department received a phone call asking questions about the Black Hawk County landfill. Many times, when that happens, my mind goes back to different reports I have read about garbage.

In fact, USAToday (I believe that's where I saw it) had an article about a rather ingenious New York City artist. He's been going around the city picking up trash, placing it in clear plastic boxes, and dating them. People have been buying these up rather quickly. Now that's what I call recycling!

Back to today's book: Judd H. Alexander has a different take on the issue of garbage. Alexander writes in In Defense of Garbage (363.7288 ALE) that he feels we are obsessing about a problem that is not really there.

When I was taking Human Geography at UNI, the book we used had a large section on the overpopulation of certain metropolitan areas and the huge problem with their poor santitation and waste management. The book had disqusting photos of piles of trash and litter. Because of this class, I feel there is a problem with controlling the amount of garbage the U.S. produces.

Even though I don't agree with his final conclusion, I still was fascinated with his description of the history of refuge. From my studies in anthropology and ancient art history, I know very well that we can learn a lot about long-lost societies by sorting through their garbage.

He also brings up a good point, although it's a generalization. He says that the rich do not produce as much trash as the poor. The rich buy quality products that last. Once they want to get rid of them, they donate or sell them. The poor buy low quality products that break much sooner or they buy second hand items. By the time these products wear out, they are no longer useable.

Well, it's time for me to end this report. I think I saw some paper cups being blown by the window outside. If I hurry, I can maybe catch them before they travel down the street. After all I could use a few extra bucks while helping out the environment.

c Waterloo Public Library 2008
Posted by Picasa

No comments: