Thursday, January 17, 2008

Native Americans


My only contact with Native Americans when I was growing up was attending the Indian Powwow in Tama. Of course, we kids had to have souvenirs from the event. I remember my sisters getting dolls with beaded dresses. How stereotypical could my family get?

It wasn't until I lived in Sioux City for a while that I was able to meet and get to know people with Native American heritage.

The book, Killing the White Man's Indian (323.1197 BOR) by Fergus M. Bordewich dispels the stereotypes that most of us grew up with. For hundreds of years, treaties with Indians have been broken. They were almost thought of as second citizens throughout the years. It was until recently that they have been able to take more control of their lives.

Bordewich does a great job giving the history of Native Americans beginning with the "purchase" of their lands through the twentieth century. It's quite different than what I was taught in school.

c Waterloo Public Library 2008

No comments: