Thursday, January 10, 2008

"How one man went from head of the household to the bottom of the pecking order"


I like the heading for this article. I wish I had thought of it: It's actually the subtitle for this book, Enslaved by Ducks (636.088 TAR).

Author Bob Tarte grew up on a farm where he was surrounded by animals. But he never felt as displaced as he did when his wife started adding various animals to their household.

It all began with a parrot. It didn't take long for Bob to be busy supporting a large cast of animals including an the original parrot, a Muscovy duck, an amorous dove, just to name a few.

I'm an animal lover myself, and grew up on a farm where my large family owned dogs, cats, ducks, turtles, fish, chameleons, and parakeets. I know how animals can make their way into your heart. Their personalities are just as varied as humans, something that Bob discovers in Enslaved by Ducks.

c Waterloo Public Library 2008

No comments: