Monday, November 26, 2007

Gypsies: people with no country


When I went to see the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, a few years ago, I was shocked at the number of people killed during that time in history. Of course, I new about the Jews and a few other groups, but I was shocked that whole communities of Gypsies (also called Romas) were also murdered.

I really didn't know much about their culture until I read Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and their Journey by Isabel Fonseca ( 909.0491 FON). Fonseca was accepted into the Gypsies' lives, witnessing their daily lives,participating in a funeral and a marriage. Her writing is very matter of fact, talking about their high illiteracy rate - books are unheard of, relying on oral stories to pass down from generation to generation. In fact, their vocabulary is very limited.

She discusses the persecution they have endured in Europe and Asia. Germany, Turkey, Romania are just a few countries mentioned.

Bury me Standing is an intimate look at a misunderstood people with no country to call their own.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: