Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"Goldfinder" is a treasure to read



Sorry about the bad pun in the title for this article. I couldn't help myself.

As a child I remember spending hours pretending to look for buried treasure. I became so involved with the idea of striking it rich that I proceeded to dig a hole in the grass, figuring that I should start looking. I didn't get very far with digging because the grass roots were too tough for a scrawny kid like me. My parents were not pleased when they caught me with the shovel. I was a naughty, inquisitive child.

Keith Jessop fulfilled his dream of finding gold - but in the ground. He struck it rich with gold he found at the bottom of the sea. In Goldfinder (387.55 JES) he writes how he first became involved with underwater reclamation. His first dives are to bring up the metal from ships to sell for recycling. After getting familiar with the whole, dangerous process of underwater diving, he sets his sights for the H.M.S. Edinburgh, a ship that was bombed by torpedoes and sunk. The process of salvaging the gold from this ship makes an incredible story.

If you find yourself intrigued by stories like this, there's another book I'd like to recommend: Dragon Sea: A True Tale of Treasure, Archeology, and Greed off the coast of Vietnam by Frank Pope (910.45 POP in the New Book Section).

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: