Thursday, July 26, 2007

Did you know several Tom and Jerry cartoons were produced by Hanna Barbara?



In the group of friends I play cards with, there is one person who is very fond of anything that has to do with "Scooby Doo." I may love cartoons but I'm more partial to another Hanna-Barbara cartoon - "Tom and Jerry."

When you think of Hanna-Barbara, you might think of those iconic cartoons like the "Flintstones," "Yogi Bear," and "the Jetsons," but not "Tom and Jerry."

In Tom and Jerry: The Definitive Guide to their Animated Adventures, author Patrick Brion writes that Hanna and Barbara were hired by MGM to be cartoon directors. They directed the first "Tom and Jerry" released in 1940. For the next 17 years they directed over 90 more before leaving MGM.

I consider those to be the classics, so did the Academy Awards. From 1940 to 1954, 13 of these cartoons were nominated for Oscars, with 7 winning.
After Hanna and Barbara left the studio, other well known producers stepped in. Remember Chuck Jones from the Warner Brother cartoons? He took their place.

You know, I think I'll check out Tom and Jerry (number 791.43651) again. With this book, maybe I can persuade my card-playing friend that "Tom and Jerry" is superior to "Scooby Doo."

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: