Wednesday, July 11, 2007

An Amazing Race



I have another confession: I don't know how to swim very well. OK, not at all. In fact, I'm so bad, I'd have to wear a life jacket in the kiddie pool.

Of course, I am exaggerating a little - but not much. I do know that I wouldn't make a good "Boy Friday" for Hall Roth, the author of this book.

So, the idea of doing what Hal Roth did seems absolutely incredible. As Roth writes in Chasing the Long Rainbow (910.41 ROT), in August 1986, he set to sail around the world - a total of 27,550 miles - by himself in a race to win the American Flag. It took 171 days to complete, which is more than can be said about some of his competitors. One sailor was swept overboard; one boat sank; another ran aground.

He begins the story with trying to get sponsors to support him and going through the proper rigorous training to endure such a feat. Then the book gets thrilling with his fight against the unpredictable seas.

In my timid opinion, reading this book in the comfort of your own home is best way for others who are into being armchair travelers.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: