Saturday, May 26, 2007

I bet you've done origami - even if you've never heard of it


This is one of the best perks of working in reference at the library: every question asked is different. This means that I get to learn new information right along with the patron.

This past week, I had a person asking about an artist in California. Once I researched it, I discovered that his specialty is origami. I bet that you have done origami, even if you've never heard the word before. Ever make a paper airplane? How about a paper hat? Origami is the Japanese word for the art of paper folding to create decorative shapes or figures.

I still remember the first time I saw a book with directions on making origami animals. I believe I was in junior high. My brother had come back from San Francisco to visit family in Waterloo. He gave me special origami paper and a how-to book. The paper didn't last long, but I still have the book.

Animal Origami is similar to that book. It does take some time and effort to get used to some of the basic folds, but believe me the end result is worth it. In addition to the animals featured on the cover, there are a few others: a crab, a dog, and a monkey.

Have some fun making sculptural animals. It's on the second floor under the call number 736.982 SAT.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: