Tuesday, February 6, 2007

This is for superhero fans!

The Science of Superheroes
by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg

I still remember when my interest in comics shifted from Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny to Superman and Batman. After purchasing a few of the superhero comics, my older brother looked at me with disdain. He grabbed them from me. My brother flipped through them, then tossed them back to me. He proclaimed that the plots and characters were illogical. Regardless, I still enjoyed them.

The Science of Superheroes, by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg, explores the worlds of superheroes. Each chapter focuses on a hero or heroes (if the comic promotes them as a group, like the Fantastic Four). The history of that particular comic and the special powers are discussed first. Then the authors explore the actual possibilities and consequences of gaining such abilities, i.e. being hit with gamma rays or bitten by a spider. The reader ends up getting an education in biology, physics, and chemistry. Although those topics can be overwhelming, the authors do try to simplify it enough so that you get the gist of it.

In the book, they did give praise to one artist/writer who researched and tried to give correct information in his comics. A prolific artist, this guy worked for about twenty-five years with one company. At the height of his career in the mid-1950s, three million copies of each issue were sold. You'll be surprised at who this is (although I don't think I would classify his comics in the same league as the other artists and writers discussed).

Unlike my brother, with his acerbic comments, Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg show respect for the role superhero comics have played in the pop culture.

You can find the book on the second floor under 741.509 GRE.



c Waterloo Public Library 2006

1 comment:

Dennis McMullen said...

I hadn't heard of this one, I'm gonna give it a try. Nice book review blog.