Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reading Books on my new I-Phone

I was very skeptical, but curious about the Kindle, Amazon's hot device to read books electronically. Then, several weeks ago, I found myself downloading a hot new application for my I-Phone, when a friend recommended Stanza, a program for reading books on the I-Phone.

I read a book by one of my favorite authors--Lee Child, with his series of books about Jack Reacher, former military policeman. I was astonished at how easy it was to use, and how I quickly "forgot" I was reading a book on a small screen. When I came to end of the "page," I just tapped on the lower right hand screen and the "page" seemed to turn itself to the next one.

It was even possible to read at night in the car (while Mike was driving); I found that I could adjust the brightness of the screen or change the background altogether.
All in all, it was an enjoyable and disconcerting experience all at once.

However, how much easier was it that I had checked this book out from the WPL and read it some time last year? Would I have been as engaged if it were not one of my favorite authors and series?




c Waterloo Public Library 2009

2 comments:

Kat at Thornfield Hall Redux said...

I've had the same experience with my Sony Reader. I get "lost" in books and forget it's NOT a book. When I first got it, I automatically used to move my hand to flip the page. E-readers are nice: will never compare with real books, though

Mikki said...

I'm not sure you'd be as engaged if it was a new author or a series that you hadn't already been interested in. There's only one way to find that out, of course.