Thursday, May 1, 2008

The life of a sportscaster


Anyone who knows me, knows that today's selection is very atypical: I'd Love to but I Have a Game by Marv Albert (070.4497 ALB in the Biography section). I grew up in a household where watching sports was not a productive way to use your time. And ... my worst subject (is it a subject?) in school was gym class where you had to play football, soccer, and all of those other games that got you sweaty.

As far as sports reporters go, I knew little. I didn't know who Frank Gifford was until I saw Kathy Lee on "Live with Regis and Kathy Lee" talk about her husband. Of course I did know Howard Cosell. (With that voice, who didn't?) So, I did know two sportscasters when I was younger.

I didn't begin to appreciate sports until I had my first roommate who was a HUGE sports fan. That's when I found out about more of the sports announcers. But, I still didn't know of Marv Albert. Or maybe I did, but didn't pay any attention.

As far as understanding anyone in that field, I knew nothing; I was rather naive. But with the help of Marv Albert's humorous autobiography, I know that it's much more hectic hobnobbing with the rich and famous than I realized.

If his on air banter is as funny as his writing, I wish that I had paid attention to him throughout his long career. I'll have to ask my sports-loving friends if he's still employed.

Note: If you want to read about his 1997 sexual assault charges, don't read this book. I'd Love to But I Have a Game is copyrighted in 1993.

c Waterloo Public Library 2008


Posted by Picasa

No comments: