Thursday, June 14, 2007

What do Zen and motorcycles have in common?


I must confess. I tried reading books about Zen, only to toss them aside in frustration. And regarding motorcycles: I think I've only been on a motorcycle twice in my life.

So why would I even look at a book with a title like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Well, there were a couple of patrons who wanted me to find this book for them. One even recommended it to me after he finished reading it. I still wasn't interested.

I still didn't bother with looking at it. I don't even like motorcycles. I only own two items that run on gas: my old car and a lawnmower, and that's enough for me.

I happened to work down in circulation one day when this book was returned. Curiosity got the best of me. I decide to check it out with a bunch of other books that I knew I would like. I figured I would just flip through it quickly, set it aside and read a book I knew I wanted to read. From the first page, I was hooked. I began to see why this is such a classic (it was written in 1974).

It's a travelogue Robert Pirsig wrote while motorcycling across the Great Plains with his son and two friends. He discusses his life, philosophy, and the experience of traveling on the open road on a motorcycle through all types of uncomfortable weather.

So, don't let the title scare you off. If I can enjoy this book (someone with no interest in Zen nor motorcycles), I think there are a lot of you who will, too.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance can be found on the second floor under the call number 917.3 PIR.

c Waterloo Public Library 2007

No comments: